What a phenomenal night of community! On Friday night our Lenten Fish Fry project partnered with the St. James Food Distribution program for those in need. On the first Friday of every month our food distribution provides groceries to those in need. With the pandemic the need has risen. In addition to groceries, we were able to provide hundreds of dinners to those needing assistance.
We know that lines and times were longer than expected. Despite obtaining extra volunteers, planning the flow for the extra crowd, and shopping and preparing extra food, it was very, very busy. In about 4 hours we distributed more than 1200 prepared meals. That is 300+ meals each hour. All done with a volunteer crew!
- Just shy of 1,000 cups of cole slaw were prepared-So many cabbages!
- Close to 300 potatoes were washed, sliced, seasoned, and baked
- Over 900 slices of cake were served
- Hundreds of pounds of fish were baked and fried
- Hush puppies, hush puppies, and even more hush puppies!
- And thousands of steps were logged by the young volunteers delivering meals as fast as they could